Recommendation from the Cabinet meeting held on 5 February 2019
That Council adopt the Horizon 2050 vision ahead of adoption by Basingstoke Area Strategic Partnership in March 2019.
The Leader of the Council moved the recommendation, seconded by Councillor Rhatigan.
That the Horizon 2050 vision be adopted, ahead of adoption by Basingstoke Area Strategic Partnership in March 2019.
The Basingstoke Area Strategic Partnership (BASP), working with Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, has developed a long-term vision for the borough of Basingstoke and Deane up to 2050. This vision is called “Horizon 2050”.
This vision will provide the context for far-reaching policy decisions about the future, setting the direction for the council and other partners’ work. This report provides a summary of the findings from the research and engagement activities and the resulting Horizon 2050 vision.
Recommendation from the Leader of the Council
1. Note the updates to the Horizon 2050 vision following final engagement.
2. Endorse the Horizon 2050 vision ahead of adoption by council in February and BASP in March 2019.
3. Recommend Council to adopt the Horizon 2050 vision.
The Leader of the Council introduced the report which presented the outcome of work on Horizon 2050. He explained that Horizon 2050 was a long term vision to ensure that the borough was able to maintain and improve the quality of life enjoyed by residents. Research and engagement activities resulting in the vision, included capturing the views of residents, group discussions and face to face discussions to identify main themes for further engagement and quantitative research which resulted in 8 main themes:
· Homes and housing
· Healthy, safe and inclusive communities
· Natural environment
· Economy and entrepreneurship
· A borough with heritage and distinction
He concluded that the vision was not a policy document but a clear framework to inform policy making in the future for both the council, its partners and Basingstoke Area Strategic Partnership (BASP).
1) Note the updates to the Horizon 2050 vision following final engagement.
2) Endorse the Horizon 2050 vision ahead of adoption by council in February and BASP in March 2019.
Recommendation to Council:
That Council adopt the Horizon 2050 vision.
Reason for the decision:
Horizon 2050 has been an extensive research and engagement exercise. In order to move the vision on to the next steps of delivery it is important to get endorsement of the overall vision from Cabinet and adoption by Council.