Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2 - Deanes. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services Team 

Link: Video recording

Items
No. Item

8/19

Apologies for absence and substitutions

Minutes:

Councillor Rowland was replace by Cllr Capon.

Councillor Edwards and Councillor Cubitt sent apologies.

9/19

Appointment of Vice Chair

To appoint a Vice-Chair to the Economic, Planning and Housing Committee for the 2019/20 municipal year.

 

Minutes:

Cllr Konieczko was appointed Vice Chair of the Economic, Planning and Housing Committee for the 2019-20 municipal year.

10/19

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

As a member of Basingstoke and North Hampshire cricket club, Cllr Watts declared a personal interest in relation to Agenda item 6 and proposals for Mays Bounty cricket club.

11/19

Urgent matters

To consider any items of business, other than those shown on this agenda and which, by reason of special circumstances to be stated at the meeting, in the opinion of the Chairman, should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.

 

Minutes:

The Chair reported that he had delayed the scheduled Local Plan housing requirements update until Autumn, due to the potential impact that a change of Prime Minister may have.

 

The Chair agreed to circulate the Local Plan review timetable to all committee members, and commented that he had received assurances from the Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment that any detrimental timing impact caused by central government could be absorbed by the current timetable.

 

The Chair agreed to update the committee at its next meeting as to whether the Local Plan update would form part of the EPH work programme, or be communicated via an all member briefing.

 

12/19

Minutes of the meeting held on 6th June pdf icon PDF 226 KB

The Chair will move that the minutes of the meeting be signed as a correct record. The only part of the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.

Minutes:

A councillor commented that five councillors had attended a meeting of the Management Companies task and finish group, but that no officer, other than the Democratic Services representative, had been present. It was suggested that officers should be present at such meetings to support councillors. The Chair agreed to investigate and to report back.

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 6 June were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

13/19

Town centre update - Consideration of work to date and future approach pdf icon PDF 294 KB

Contact Officer: Daniel Garnier

 

To update EPH members on the proposed approach to the development of the central Basingstoke strategy.

 

The scope of the strategy includes Basing View, station approach, central parks and green spaces and the Fairfields conservation area.  

Additional documents:

Minutes:

BID update

 

The Chief Executive of Basingstoke BID presented an update on the work of the BID.

 

The Chair invited visiting speaker, Sheila Peacock, to address the Committee. As representative of Cycle Basingstoke, Basingstoke Clean Air Campaign and Basingstoke Transition Network, the council were urged to look to reduce carbon footprint, encourage a sustainable living environment and introduce better public transport links when developing the central Basingstoke strategy.

 

The Portfolio Holder for Regeneration and Property provided assurances that any agreed strategy would aim to minimise impact on the climate. 

 

The committee commended the comprehensive presentation and had the following queries and comments:

 

·         It was clarified that those businesses with a £10,000 or lower rateable value were not included as levy paying BID member businesses. Rather, they were able to apply to become associate members of the BID for a fee of £140 per annum. This would allow access to all other membership aspects of the BID, including a right of the owner to sit on the board, but with the exception that there would be no right to vote.

 

·         It was acknowledged that the loss of two large businesses recently leaving the Top of Town had had a significant impact. It was noted that the Top of Town relied more on service-based providers and destination based shops rather than passing footfall. Further, the reality of multiple landlords meant that there was little combined strategy for rejuvenating the area. It was suggested that the council might wish to consider investing in some of the vacant units in order to exert some control over the future of the area, and to develop some form of action plan and usage strategy.

 

·         The Chief Executive of Basingstoke BID reported that feedback from local businesses suggested that the town centre lacked sufficient commercial space for small or medium sized firms.

 

·         It was suggested that the public space protection order at the Top of Town be strengthened to an alcohol exclusion order. It was noted that whilst this may not eradicate the issue, it would be a step towards improving it.

 

It was explained that the introduction of BID rangers in September was aimed at bolstering the existing role of the case file worker, as a general point of contact to BID businesses in relation to any anti-social behaviour issues, and as a welcoming presence to visitors.

 

·         In response to a query as to how best to measure whether strategies were working to improve the town, it was suggested that an annual digital perception survey of town visitors be undertaken. It was recommended that a baseline survey be undertaken prior to the introduction any strategy, and then on an annual rolling basis to gauge success.

 

·         It was agreed that the BID team would circulate details of the percentage of empty units in Winchester Street to the committee.

 

·         The growing importance of social enterprise facilities was recognised. The Chief Executive of Basingstoke BID team commented that people were increasingly using town centres as a social community space,  ...  view the full minutes text for item 13/19

14/19

Review of work programme pdf icon PDF 185 KB

The Committee is asked to note and review its Work Programme and to receive updates from the Lead Members of Task and Finish Groups.

 

Minutes:

The Committee reviewed its work programme.

 

·         A work suggestion form was presented proposing the review of the allocations and development policy in relation to families in flats. The Chair agreed to discuss the form with officers and respond to the committee with a proposal for progression within 7 days;

·         Cllrs Frost, Miller and Konieczko volunteered to join the Management Companies task and finish group; and

·         Cllr George volunteered to join the SS9 policy task and finish group.