Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2 - Deanes. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services Team 


No. Item


Apologies for absence and substitutions


Councillor Cooper was replaced by Councillor Regan. 

Councillors Cubitt, Gaskell and Leeks were absent.



Declarations of interest


There were no declarations of interest.


Urgent matters

To consider any items of business, other than those shown on this agenda and which, by reason of special circumstances to be stated at the meeting, in the opinion of the Chairman, should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.



There were no urgent items.


Minutes of the meeting held on 5th September 2019 pdf icon PDF 222 KB

The Chair will move that the minutes of the meeting be signed as a correct record. The only part of the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.


The minutes of the meeting held on 5 September were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.


Authority Monitoring Report for Planning, 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 725 KB

Contact officer:         J Brombley


The Authority Monitoring Report (AMR) was published in December 2019 and provides monitoring information and statistical data for the borough for the period from 1 April 2018 to the 31 March 2019. The report monitors progress with the production of planning policy documents and considers the effectiveness of the council’s planning policies against relevant performance indicators or targets.


The document is published annually in accordance with the requirements set out in Regulation 34 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. This is the third report to be published since the adoption of the Local Plan in May 2016.

Additional documents:


The Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment, and Planning Policy Manager introduced the Authority Monitoring Report 2018/19 (AMR). It was clarified that the report reflected the council’s position as at April 2019.


It was highlighted that during the past monitoring year 1,200 new homes had been built, and that 40% affordable housing had been achieved on all qualifying sites.


The committee commended officers on the standard of the report.


Progress with planning documents


It was noted that 8 supplementary planning documents had been published in the past year.


Progress had also been made with neighbourhood plans with a total of nine made plans in the borough as at 1 April 2019.


It was clarified that there had been a mixed reception from parish and town council’s to reviewing and updating existing neighbourhood plans. 


It was queried whether neighbourhood plans would offer any protection given the council’s inability to demonstrate a 5 year supply of deliverable housing sites. The Planning Policy Manager clarified that Neighbourhood Plans remain in place and continue to be used to determine applications but that housing related policies are currently considered out of date in light of the supply position. The only exception to this was Kingsclere Parish which currently retained full protection due to it being less than two years old and allocating sites for housing development.


·         A committee member commented that there appeared to be low take-up in relation to the Parking Standards SPD. It was agreed that further details would be forwarded to the Planning Policy Manager for review.


Housing policies


It was clarified that the council’s land supply was monitored throughout the year, with the AMR being published in December, detailing the position as at 1st April for the preceding year. Consequently there would be no revision to the council’s official supply position until April 2020.


It was clarified that the annual housing requirement of 850 dwellings was applicable for every year of the Local Plan period (2011-2029), and that 2018/19 was the first year that the target had been met. 


It was explained that a lack of 5 year land supply meant that there was now a presumption in favour of sustainable development and that each planning application would need to be reviewed on its own merits. This leaves the council more open to the risk of speculative development. 


It was explained that the Housing Delivery Test Action Plan published in July 2019 set out measures for the council to implement to assist with improving the land supply position.  It was suggested that delivery of Manydown would be key to impacting and reducing the shortfall.


The relevance of Local Plan Policy SS7 in relation to restricting developments in the vicinity of nuclear installations was queried, given the increasing population size of Tadley. The Planning Policy Manager commented that this would continue to be examined as part of the Local Plan Update. 


·         The Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment agreed to seek an update in relation to the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25/19


Green Infrastructure Strategy - Progress report (Year 1) pdf icon PDF 585 KB

Contact officer:         P Johnston


The report sets out the progress that has been made on the aims and objectives during the first year of the Green Infrastructure Strategy and will also help to provide a benchmark against which to assess progress in future years. It also includes an update to the list of sites included on the Parks Protection list following the proposed inclusion of an additional site at Portacre Rise in the Brookvale and Kings Furlong ward.


The Portfolio Holder for Planning Infrastructure and Natural Environment introduced the report which detailed progress made with the Green Infrastructure Strategy since its adoption in November 2018.


Attention was drawn to two new initiatives; namely the creation of the Hatch Warren bio-diversity zone which was exploring options for managing green open spaces whilst improving bio-diversity; and the creation of the East of Basingstoke Natural Environment Management Plan aimed at creating wildlife corridors by linking urban parks to the countryside.


It was clarified that the Hatch Warren bio-diversity zone would be launched in April and will then be monitored throughout the year. Should the initiative be successful there was then potential to roll out to other designated sites.


A member urged that regardless of the outcome of the Heritage Lottery Fund bid for the Watercress and Winterbournes project the council should continue to support the local volunteer group and all that they continue to do. The Natural Environment Team Leader commented that the council had strong links with the group and would continue to do so


The committee made the following comments:-


·         Whilst extra budget for an additional resource to the tree team was praised, committee members commented that a number of trees were increasingly the responsibility of Hampshire County Council (HCC) and that assurances should be sought to ensure comparable commitment to preserving trees on their part. The Natural Environment Team Leader agreed to discuss this matter with HCC.

·         It was suggested that an ability to monitor the number of volunteers would be useful and it was requested that numbers of volunteers be recorded as part of the Green Infrastructure Strategy report in future years. The Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment agreed to this request.

·         The Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment agreed to review insurance issues in relation to volunteers and tools.

·         The Natural Environment Team Leader agreed to investigate measures for improving engagement with the private sector.

·         The Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment agreed to discuss with the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Enforcement the feasibility of planting and managing more trees within the borough.

·         The Natural Environment Team Leader agreed to circulate details of the Environmental Renewal Scheme spending in South Ham.

·         The Natural Environment Team Leader agreed to circulate a list of local environmental and volunteer groups to the committee.  


Resolved:     The Committee


·         Note the work undertaken during year one of the Green Infrastructure Strategy (2018);

·         Agree to the proposal to add Portacre Rise to the list of Protected parks and open spaces; and

·         Request that the above comments be noted and bullet points actioned.


Review of work programme pdf icon PDF 183 KB

The Committee is asked to note and review its Work Programme and to receive updates from the Lead Members of Task and Finish Groups.



The Committee reviewed its work programme.


·         It was noted that the Housing and Homelessness Strategy update would be presented at the March meeting;

·         It was noted that the update to the Infrastructure Delivery Plan and proposals for CIL spend had been delayed awaiting a government announcement;

·         The Chair reported that he had received confirmation from the lead member of the Management Companies task and finish group that they would be meeting on 14th January with a view to presenting a report of their findings for consideration at the next EPH meeting; and

·         It was noted that the SS9 task and finish group had been delayed awaiting a Court of Appeal judgement. Democratic Services officer to arrange a further meeting.