Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2 - Deanes. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services
Link: Video recording
Apologies for absence and substitutions
Councillor R Bean was replaced by Councillor K Rhatigan
Declarations of interest
Councillor P Harvey declared an interest on Item 5 of the agenda – Educational Attainment in the Borough – on the grounds that he was a governor at the Vyne School
Councillor G James declared an interest on Item 5 of the agenda – Educational Attainment in the Borough – on the grounds that his children attended Costello School and Item 8 of the agenda as he was a County Councillor
Councillor N Pierce declared an interest on Item 5 of the agenda – Educational Attainment in the Borough – on the grounds that he was a governor at Oakley School
Councillor G Falconer declared an interest on Item 5 of the agenda – Educational Attainment in the Borough – on the grounds that he was a governor at the Clere School
To consider any items of business, other than those shown on this agenda and which, by reason of special circumstances to be stated at the meeting, in the opinion of the Chairman, should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.
There were no urgent items.
The Chair will move that the minutes of the meeting be signed as a correct record. The only part of the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.
The minutes of the meeting held on 20th June 2017 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
The committee will receive a presentation from the School Improvement Manager - Education and Inclusion (Basingstoke and Deane) from Hampshire County Council.
The Chair introduced the report, which provided data on a review of educational attainment in the borough.
Owing to the likelihood of information being discussed that would involve the disclosure of exempt information, the Chair proposed that the committee pass a resolution that by virtue of paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting.
On resumption of the open session the Chair summarised the committee’s discussions which covered;
· That officers from Hampshire would send data on Maths and English results specific to Basingstoke schools
· The number of Basingstoke students attending schools outside of the borough
· The number of school places in Basingstoke schools
· The work, undertaken by Hampshire County Council, to tackle the issues of low attainment within Basingstoke
· The necessary re-training and re-skilling of teachers
· The proposals to introduce an "Inspirational Teacher" award
· A range of issues surrounding recruitment and retention of teachers
· The need to celebrate the successes of Basingstoke schools
Resolved: The committee notes the report
The Committee is asked to note and review its Work Programme and to receive updates from the Lead Members of Task and Finish Groups.
The Chair introduced the current committee work programme and discussed proposals for the future meetings.
The Head of Borough Development and Implementation agreed that an officer report in response to the Work Programme Suggestion form on a review of previously implemented decisions covering Renewable Energy Saving and Investment Programme could be brought to the committee in September.
On consideration of the timetabling of an officer report on a review of previously implemented decisions covering Housing allocations, following the proposal that this could be brought to the committee’s March meeting, the committee requested the Executive Director for Finance and Resources to discuss the delay with the relevant officers to consider bringing forward the timescale.
The Chair of the Community, Environment and Partnerships (CEP) Committee offered to take an item on recycling facilities at bring back sites proposed in one of the submitted Work Programme Suggestion forms to the CEP Committees’ meeting in November as the committee were already due to consider household waste recycling centres.
The Chair circulated a letter received from the Leader of Hampshire County Council in response to a request, on behalf of the Scrutiny Committee, to invite the Executive member to attend a future committee meeting to discuss Hampshire County Council’s use of management consultants and particularly the amount of taxpayer’s money that had been spent employing management consultants.
The committee expressed its view that they were extremely surprised and disappointed with the response from the Leader of the County Council and asked the Chair to write again informing him of the committee’s disappointment.
1. The work programme suggestion form and associated work on recycling facilities at bring back sites be referred to the Community, Environment and Partnerships Committee to be considered at it’s November meeting
2. Councillors Phillimore, Harvey, Falconer and Tilbury be appointed to the Task and Finish Group on the Council’s approach to supporting Small Businesses in the borough
3. Councillors Phillimore, Tilbury, T Robinson and R Golding be appointed to the Task and Finish Group on Neighbourhood Plans
4. A review of previously implemented decisions covering Renewable Energy Saving and Investment Programme be timetabled for the Scrutiny Committee on the 19th September 2017