Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Virtual Meeting - Zoom Webinar. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services Team 

Media

Items
No. Item

32/20

Apologies for absence and substitutions

Minutes:

Cllr Capon sent apologies.

 

Cllr Potter was replaced by Cllr Harvey.

33/20

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

Cllr George declared a personal interest in relation to agenda item 6 as a trustee of Whitchurch Silk Mill.

34/20

Urgent Matters

To consider any items of business, other than those shown on this agenda and which, by reason of special circumstances to be stated at the meeting, in the opinion of the Chairman, should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.

 

Minutes:

The Chair reported that he had received notification of a call-in relating to the Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment decision (4 of 2021) - Addressing the Five Year Housing Land Supply Position.

 

The committee agreed to hold a call-in committee meeting at 6.30pm on 14th April.

35/20

Minutes of the meeting held on 24 November

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 24th November were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.  

36/20

Developer Contributions their collection and spend pdf icon PDF 359 KB

Contact Member:      Cllr Paul Miller, Chair of s106 Task & Finish Group

 

The report is presented further to Cllr Miller’s verbal update on 24th November 2020 and circulation of the s106 Finance Monitoring Spreadsheet and flow diagram.

 

The report seeks to clarify the planning process around the collection of developer contributions and, through the updated process diagram and highlight of current guidance from the Local Government Association, bring wider Member understanding and future involvement into the process.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Miller, Chair of the s106 Task & Finish group, presented the report clarifying the process around the collection of developer contributions and member involvement in the process.

 

Cllr Miller expressed thanks to all the officers that had been involved in production of the report.

 

Cllr Miller explained that, subject to committee approval, it was intended that the report and appendices form part of an induction pack for new councillors.

 

The Head of Planning, Sustainability and Infrastructure explained that s106 contributions were collected for specific planning purpose and would need to be directed toward that specific spend. Funds could not be transferred to other projects.

 

It was clarified that there was now a central list of all s106 agreements, and that funds were not allocated until invoiced and received. However it was noted that potentially there may need to be some data cleansing in relation to planning permissions that had lapsed.

 

Members made the following comments and observations:-

 

·         The report was widely welcomed and acknowledged to be very helpful;

·         It was felt that the papers went a long way to de-mystifying a subject  which had historically caused widespread confusion amongst members;

·         It was suggested and agreed that a document containing FAQ’s and a list of contacts would be useful;

·         In response to a query as to what would happen to the £6.7 million recorded under regulation reference 3(e) of the Infrastructure Funding Statement (IFS), it was clarified that this figure had now reduced to £2.7 million. It was explained that officers were working to find appropriate schemes on which to spend the money, but should that fail, then the council could approach the developer and seek to vary the original s106 agreement;

·         It was observed by some members that the application of  CIL appeared to be currently acting as an inadvertent tax on rural communities;

·         There was a request for greater use of plain English, to which the Head of Planning, Sustainability and Infrastructure agreed to investigate whether it would be possible to produce a plain English version of the IFS in the future;

·         It was queried whether, upon election, new councillors could receive a list of s106 and CIL funds available within their wards;  and

·         It was suggested and agreed that the information be rolled out to town and parish councils, including training in relation to identifying key projects, obtaining the necessary funding through CIL and seeing schemes through to fruition.

 

Resolved:     the Committee

 

·         Note the work of the s106 Task & Finish Group, the content of this report, Process Diagram for BDBC; and LGA up to date Guidance on Developer Contributions;

·         Note the statutory regime for the Infrastructure Funding Statement and its role for monitoring and reporting on the CIL and s106 investment; and

·         The report is considered at the Capitol Programme Board as part of the Capital Strategy update.

37/20

Q2 2020/21 Key Indicator Performance Management Report pdf icon PDF 411 KB

Contact Officer:        Nadine McKenzie

 

The purpose of the report is to provide the Q2 status of the 2020/21 key indicators (KI).

 

Please note that due to the Covid-19 pandemic, key indicators have not yet been verified for the Council Plan 2020-2024. However, existing KI’s have been aligned to the priorities of the updated Council Plan to provide an overview of performance.  

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Executive Director of Corporate Services noted that in normal circumstances a performance panel would have previously discussed the report and the Chair of the panel would present to the committee with any concerns raised by the report. It had not been possible to hold such a meeting and consequently the committee had received the full report.

 

The Executive Director of Corporate Services noted that further to concerns raised by the performance panel, efforts had been made to make the reported KPIs more meaningful, and they now tied in to supporting the council’s priority plans. Further in collating information to produce the reports, new systems had been applied which would start to provide trend and dashboard information in the future.

 

It was noted that the current report reflected the old KPIs, but that going forward reporting would be based on the new priority plan KPIs and would also include regular major project updates.

 

The Change and Performance Manager introduced the Q2 2020/21 Key Indicator Performance Report. It was noted that of the 36 reportable indicators there were 19 at green, 5 at amber and 7 at red RAG status. It had not been possible to report on 5 of the indicators as they related to community activity which had been effected by the Covid pandemic. 

 

The Committee made the following comments and observations:-

 

·         Members welcomed the format of the report;

·         Further to a request to view dashboard information in real time, it was confirmed that once there was confidence in the information being produced, updates and reports would be provided on a more regular basis;

·         The Executive Director of Corporate Services agreed to investigate  a specific member report of long term waste collection problems in Whitchurch;

·         In relation to customer complaints, the Executive Director of Corporate Services reported that an enhanced customer services management tool was being developed which would improve the service offered to residents. The system would feature 360 degree feedback for the customer and keep a detailed record of progress made for complaints;

·         The Executive Director of Corporate Services agreed to investigate the figure of -31.9% recorded as a percentage reduction in council energy expenditure at the council offices. It was suggested that there may have been a clerical error inputting the data; and

·         It was clarified that there was less control over other council owned property as it did not refer to campus buildings, however the Executive Director of Corporate Services agreed to review the 12.13% energy expenditure reduction figure and to report back with comparative information.

 

Resolved:     the Committee note the report.

38/20

Review of Work Programme

Minutes:

The committee noted that the work programme was empty and agreed that it remain so for the start of the new municipal year.